A Brief History of Calvary Baptist Church, Arnprior Ontario
Calvary Baptist Church of Arnprior, Ontario, had its origins in early June 1940, with a group of Christians who resolutely believed and practiced that the Bible is the complete Word of God; that the sixty-six books, as originally written, comprising the Old and New Testaments, were verbally inspired by the Holy Spirit of God and were entirely free from error; and that the Bible is the final authority in all matters of faith and practice and the true basis of Christian union.
These beliefs were a matter of great controversy in Canada among many Baptist believers at that time.
The group initially met in homes for Sunday services and mid-week prayer meetings, was led by Rev. Brynle Owen, and chose to be known officially as “The People’s Church”.
The Orange Hall on Madawaska Street was rented in July 1940, purchased in April 1945, periodically renovated, and served the congregation’s needs for over 25 years until May 1966 when a new “purpose built” church building was officially opened at the corner of Edey and Landrigan streets in Arnprior. In 2009 renovations were made to this building, including the installation of a lift, to allow individuals with disabilities to easily enter the building at the parking lot level and then access the upper and lower floors to be able to participate in services and various activities.
The congregation affiliated with the Fellowship of Independent Baptist Churches of Canada in 1941 and changed its name at that time to Calvary Baptist Church to indicate its Baptist convictions. This association of Baptist churches later amalgamated with the Union of Regular Baptist Churches of Ontario and Quebec in October 1953, to form “The Fellowship of Evangelical Baptist Churches in Canada,” of which Calvary Baptist became and remains a member church.
The objective of Calvary Baptist Church from when it started in 1940, and continuing today, has been to bring glory to God by making disciples of Jesus who worship God, build each other up, and win unbelievers to Christ. With this objective before it, the church is currently engaged locally in ministry to men, women, youth and children, and further afield is supporting missionary endeavours in Canada and around the world.